Thursday, April 21, 2011

Perfect Pancakes

Now, I need to preface this recipe with saying, I used my cast-iron griddle to make these, and I'm still getting used to cooking with cast iron again. lol The first batch I made stuck to the griddle, and the batter was too thick, and you name it, it was a mess. BUT I learned what I did wrong. First, I used regular all-purpose flour, and if you use all-purpose flour like I did, for each cup of cake flour, use 1 cup all-purpose, minus 2 Tablespoons. So, you end up with 3 cups flour, minus 6 Tablespoons. Hope that makes sense. Anyway, it makes the batter thinner-mine to begin with was so thick it was unreal. So, I added about 1/2 cup milk and it was fine. But the next batch I made, I used the accurate straight-across measurements.

Then, if you use cast-iron, make sure your fire isn't too high, low-med and that you keep your surface greased well. They don't need to float in grease, but just make sure they don't stick. I kept putting more oil on my griddle after each set of pancakes I made. I'd remove the pancakes, and grease it down, then add the next batch. They turned out great! I love 'em!! I serve mine with syrup or powdered sugar, which I love. What I would like to know, though, from someone who wants to weigh-in on this cast iron subject, is how you keep your griddle or skillet greased easily between cooking pancakes and such. I just kept pouring oil on mine (I was out of spray) and spread it around. Any other ideas?
3 - cups plus 2 tablespoons cake flour (or 3 cups MINUS 6 Tablespoons all-purpose flour)
1/2 - teaspoon salt
3 - tablespoons baking powder
2 - tablespoons sugar
2 - cups milk or buttermilk
2 - large eggs
3 - teaspoons vanilla
4 - tablespoons butter (melted)
Lots of butter and syrup

Mix together dry ingredients in a large bowl. In a separate bowl mix together milk, eggs, and vanilla. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, stirring very gently until just combined. Melt butter in the microwave and add it to the batter, stirring gently to combine. Cook on a greased skillet over medium-low heat until golden brown. Serve with butter and syrup.

Note: I got this recipe from Mommy's Kitchen. Thanks, Tina!

1 comment:

  1. MMMMMMM....pancakes!! And I can just imagine how they would taste on a cast iron griddle....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! It will be posted once it has been approved.